Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Shepherd, Warrior, King

Some of you may be wondering about the title I've chosen for this blog.

It comes from a variety of streams God has blended in my life in recent years. First, of course, is the fact that Jesus Christ is The Good Shepherd. He's also referred to in Scripture as the Deliverer and warrior, inaugurating the Kingdom of God by breaking in on this present evil age. Jesus' arrival on the planet was an act of war and his Second Coming will be to take what is rightfully his. Jesus is also given the title King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
So, as a follower of Jesus, my life grows more and more like him. I take on his role as his ambassador. I serve others by following Jesus shepherding lost sheep, by fighting against the enemy and by extending his rule and reign in every aspect of my life and throughout my sphere of influence.

The second stream that influences this title, shepherd-warrior-king, is my namesake, King David of the Old Testament. For years I thought I had been named after my father's college roommate, Dave Imbach. Now he's a noble fellow, a pastor, and yes, my parents liked his name; but my mother insists that they named me after King David of old. King David was Israel's most famous monarch. He is know for his defeat of the giant, Goliath. Under his command, Israel conquered the surrounding nations. King David brought peace to all the borders of his kingdom. He wasn't perfect--his failings are legendary--but he is held up as one of the greatest Kings in Israel's history. He was a great song writer. He worshipped God with abandon. And, he's honored as both an ancestor and type of the coming Messiah and the Kigndom of God.

But David didn't start out as either warrior or king, but shepherd. The Old Testament narrative of David's life suggests that much of his strength, faith and character was developed in the years he tended sheep. It wasn't a noble job. It was probably a task left for the servants. David was not very highly regarded in his boyhood years, particularly by his father and brothers. However, it's his heart that God approves of. When the prophet, Samuel, was preparing to anoint one of the sons of Jesse as the new king, God says very clearly, "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." And later in life, David becomes know as "beloved of God" and "a man after God's own heart."

I can't think of a more noble character to pattern my life after. Can you? I long to hear God say to me, "you are a man after my own heart." Wouldn't you?

The third contributing stream is the insight into life in Christ from the pen of John Eldredge. Eldredge has written a number of books regarding the heart of a man. I like the way John has recovered the lost hearts of men, by reminding them of who they are and why God made males the way He did. If it's possible to be mentored by a man one has never met in person, then I have been mentored by John Eldredge through his writings, his videos and more recently, his podcasts.

In his book, Wild at Heart, Eldredge suggests that part of our journey with God includes hearing from God what he thinks of us. God has a unique name for us that's tied to our character and purpose, just like Jesus' name is more than just a label given to him by his parents. So, Eldredge suggests, we ask God what what name He has given us. Who are we to Him? In a moment of quiet reflection, I asked God what name he's given me. The answer came back almost immediately, "Shepherd." I wasn't too sure I had heard correctly, so I filed it away in a safe place in my heart. Months later, I was telling Jeni about my experience. That's when she said that she knew my name too. God had spoken it to her some time before. Shepherd.

I put two and two together. God's name for me is "Shepherd." King David was a shepherd. I was intentionally named after King David. Are there possible parallels between my life and King David's? Do I resonate with the things he did? What would it mean if God were calling me to rise up into the name and role of my namesake? Could it be that God is calling me to the role of a shepherd, a warrior, a worshiper and king as well?

I finally put it all together after reading John Eldredge's book, The Way of the Wild Heart. In the book, John outlines the life of a man and the stages he goes through into adulthood and beyond. Two of the stages are warrior and king. Every man has a battle to fight. Every man of God knows the battleground is the hearts of men and women. I resonate with God's desire to rescue his people and set the captives free. The king stage in a man's life is when he arrives at the pinnacle of his career or the role of leadership God calls him into. It's the season of his greatest influence over others. Senior pastors, CEO's, military commanders, senior partners are all examples of a man's kingship. While I'm not there yet, I believe one day that God will call me into a leadership role he's prepared for me and prepared me for. That may be in this life or the age to come, but I believe it will come. So I aspire, like King David, to be the best leader I can be under the authority of my King and Savior, Jesus Christ. I see my life now as a season of preparation for God's purposes.

I shepherd people entrusted to my care by God at church and at work
I fight along with my King, to see people set free and the Kingdom of God to come.
One day I will reign with Christ, in his authority, in this age or the age to come.

I am Shepherd, Warrior, King

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dad, love what you wrote. I'm glad you can write these to share with others, but even more, it's like a documentation of your understanding. Some day you can look back on these and remember what you gained. I hope you keep going! Love you,

    ~joel

    ReplyDelete